A Taste of Yummy Bologna
Where better than to see and smell the delights of Emilian food than Bologna, the capital of Italian gastronomy?
In the company of a specialist Food & Gastronomy guide, you will be taken on a journey of the senses, to Bologna’s town centre known as ‘Il ventre di Bologna’ or ‘Bologna’s stomach’. With the smell of freshly roasted coffee wafting in the air from the local bars, the delicious smell of hams and Parmesan cheeses from the local delis and freshly baked bread from one of Bologna’s oldest bakeries, you will wander through these medieval streets and alleys, visiting some of Bologna’s best-known gastronomic institutions. This experience will teach you not only about Italian but especially Emilian gastronomic authenticity and will tell you the truth about some of Italy’s best-known gastronomic clichés.
Click Here for More Information
As part of your experience you will visit:
- A world-famous artisan chocolate shop founded in 1796
- Bologna’s oldest ‘Osteria’ established in 1541
- The city’s most famous ‘forno’
- Some of Bologna’s finest delicatessens
You will also visit:
- A pasta-making workshop where you can also have a go at rolling out the dough with a rolling-pin (the traditional way of making egg pasta)
You will be provided with the history and explanation of some of Emilia’s most important typical regional products and dishes and receive a detailed overview of Emilia’s gastronomic heritage and culture including:
- The difference between DOP and IGP products and what makes each so special
- The history of the ‘Tortellino’ and ‘Tagliatelle’
- Pork – why nothing is thrown away
- Why the Mortadella or ‘Bologna’ sausage is so revered (including tasting)
- Parmigiano Reggiano – how only three ingredients make up this world-renowned cheese (including tasting)
- Prosciutto Crudo (including tasting)
- The elusive truffle
- Liquid gold – the story of Aceto Balsamico Tradizionale di Modena & Reggio Emilia (including tasting)
This experience offers you, quite literally, a taste of the very best that Bologna and Emilia Romagna have to offer.
This experience includes various tastings, the brief pasta-making workshop (you won’t want lunch), a personal guide and takes approximately 6 hours in total.
Should you only have a couple of hours, we are happy to propose a 2 hour super-fast full immersion into the food of the region with a qualified guide.
Accommodation not included.